Sports Report: Field Hockey Team Cruises Through First Two Rounds of Tournament, Boys Soccer Team Loses in Heartbreaker

WCA-TV Studio – DISCLAIMER: Watertown Field Hockey defeated Lynnfield in the MIAA Div. 2 North Section Semifinal 2-1 in double overtime while this broadcast was being filmed.

The Watertown Field Hockey is in the midst of another amazing run. The Raiders are looking to win their tenth straight state title, which is an amazing feat in itself. To start off their championship defense, the Raiders welcomed the No. 17 seed Bishop Fenwick to Victory Field. Watertown started off the game with a relentless attack. Gabby Venezia drew first blood for the Raiders, aided by a little luck she lifted a shot over the goalie and underneath the stick of a defender who had a chance to clear it. Ally Kennedy was able to slide a shot through the five hole for her first goal of the game. Just before halftime, Kennedy placed her long range shot perfectly in the top right corner for the 3-0 lead. This was a very competitive half and the Bishop Fenwick’s goalie was outstanding between the posts. She made life very difficult, but her defenders gave her no help. In the second half the Raiders padded their lead with goals from an open net goal from Shannon Hughes.

The Raiders dominating 4-0 victory versus Bishop Fenwick mean advanced them to the Div. 2 North Quarterfinal against Ipswich. From the starting whistle, Ipswich was absolutely outmatched. Venezia scored two very quick goals, including one where she weaved through three defenders and finished bottom left with the goal. The floodgates were officially open at that point. Moments later, Ally Kennedy maneuvers her way around a defender and has a straight line to the goal. Four Tigers defenders had their head turned away from the net, allowing for an extremely easy goal. Catherine Connors and Taylor Lambo would secure rebounds for goals to make the final score 5-0 in Watertown’s favor.

The WHS boys soccer team also made it into the Div. 3 North Section tournament after a great regular season. The Raiders secured the No. 4 seed in the tournament. The Raiders welcome lowest seed Gloucester to their home turf for a first round game. Alex Egan’s cross to Caiden Kiani in the second minute put Watertown ahead. Gloucester would return as they were able to exploit bad marking off a free kick and finish an easy goal to tie the score 1-1. It was all Watertown after that. In the 29th minute, Alex Egan gets his second assist of the game leading Rodrigo Freitas in front of the net where he easily found a place to score. Kiani secured the brace moments later. The second half featured a Gloucester own goal and Rodrigo Freitas getting his own brace with a clever chip shot over the keeper.

The Raiders are looking to match the success of the field Hockey team and advance into the North Semi-Finals. Alex Egan and Gevork Karapetyan had scoring opportunities early but couldn’t find the mark. The opponent, Pentucket, was able to withstand the initial offensive attack from Watertown and tried pushing on the counter attack. A half of scoreless play saw multiple chance for both sides. The game changing play came towards the end of the game. Nicholas DiPace had the chance to stop the initial push, and he whiffed on the tackle. He hustled back into the play with another chance to stop the attacking run but missed a second straight tackle. The Pentucket player shoots in the top right corner but Devon Breen is there. However the ball goes through his hands for the own goal and just like that the Raiders season is over. While Watertown didn’t achieve the goals they wanted to, it was another successful season.

Check Out the Video!

Produced by Dan Hogan News Producer
Andrea Santopietro, Assistant Director
Written and Produced by Steven Accardi
November 8, 2018

Back to Watertown Weekly News Page